Sunday 17 April 2011

The Crab Apple tree

I have a Crab Apple tree at the front of my house. Most of the time it looks pretty ordinary, but for a couple of weeks every year (about the middle of April) it looks absolutely stunning.


This is what the individual blossoms look like:


It's hard to do the tree justice; it's just an absolute riot of colour:


On Thursday, as I got in from work I noticed that the tree was literally buzzing with the sound of bees.




Later in the year this tree will (hopefully) provide us with a massive crop of little pink-tinged apples, some of which usually end up being made into Crab Apple Jelly, which is delicious with pork and cold ham.

Photo from August 2010


10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous blooms! O, to have a tree of pink in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How stunning, and yes I know what you mean about the buzzing, our apple trees in the garden are alive with bees right now, but trying to capture it on camera is proving incredibly difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one beautiful tree! And I can almost taste the yummy jelly you make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful sight! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, the tree and the jelly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful crab apple. Spring is so full of wonderful gifts from nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty. What a gift pretty bloom and nice produce for the kitchen later.Double or Triple Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It carries such a lot of blossom, stunning. I like the sound of the crab apple jelly, I bet it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark that is stunning! I can imagine all the happy bees going about their business in bliss!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.