Friday 27 April 2012

Hops, Maples and salads

The Golden Hop (Humulus Aureus) is beginning to take off. I grow it mainly as a fence-covering, using it to obscure some of the less-than-lovely larchlap fence panels.


The plant dies down completely in the Winter and I remove all the old dried-up stems. In the Spring it starts all over again. It is very vigorous and the stems grow several metres long in the space of a couple of months. I try to train then along some wires, but they have minds of their own and they usually end up in a complicated tangle.


A point to note though: Golden Hop spreads very easily and puts out very strong almost rope-like roots, so it is hard to eradicate it if you change your mind. I reckon it's best to dig up a bit of it each year in order to ensure that it doesn't get too well-established.


The other day I mentioned that seeds of my Bronze Maple tree are germinating all over the garden. These develop into very attractive little seedlings, so I have potted-up a few - "just in case".... Just in case of what, I'm not really sure. I can't see myself planting another maple tree any time soon, but maybe a friend would like them?




Elsewhere in the garden the Baby Leaf Salad is coming on nicely, growing in one of the wooden wine boxes that I got from Majestic Wines:





This salad is a Californian Mix from Sutton's. The pack doesn't list the contents, but it evidently includes Rocket, Spinach and various types of Kale. I think the spiky one might be Red Russian Kale.


I think it's time for me to sample it now. I just have to decide what to have it with it. What do you recommend?

15 comments:

  1. Poached eggs and Prosciutto with crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those wine boxes, they look great with salad leaves growing in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not grow my normal red Russian kale this year and decided to try dinosaur kale. The dinosaur kale does not seem to be growing nearly as well for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the wine boxes too. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great salad growing containers you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go on try some bonsai! Treat it as a challenge. Maples make lovely bonsai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just given a bonsai tree today. My boss gave it to me for National Administrative Assistant week, lol. I love it. Never had one before.

      Delete
  7. Those wine boxes are great - looks liek a good salad mix too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about a nice spring risotto with some peas for extra flavour?

    Really envious of those wine boxes-must try and hunt out some myself...

    I would love one of those bronze maples seedlings-just not sure how to get it from you to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mark,

    Ive been given a rooted piece of golden hop. For the exact reason you mentioned, Im thinking of growing it in a pot.

    Will it do ok do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any experience with growing hops in containers, but I expect it would be OK if you used a large container. You would probably have to re-pot it every year, because the roots can get very big.

      Delete
  10. Yep definately some sort of Italian ham.

    Hope they were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your golden hop looks lovely in the sunshine - sunshine, what's that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the salad mix in the wine box. It very classy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are sure right about the hops being invasive! I think one could it plant in the ground surrounded by a bottomless bucket. The micro greens looked wonderful. I'd use them as a garnish for fish, but as you don't care for fish....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.