Wednesday 4 April 2012

Tomato seedlings

My tomato seedlings are slowly getting bigger, and putting on some weight. I have been taking them out into the sunshine and fresh air during the day and bringing them indoors at night, so they have been well looked after.

I judged that the ones growing in the tall Elmlea pots were ready for "earthing-up". You may remember that I sowed the seeds in pots that were only half filled with compost.




I want the plants to develop a really strong root system, and I know that if you bury the plants deep in compost they will put out more roots from their stems, so I have filled the pots up to within about a centimetre of the tops now.




These seedlings will remain in their little pots for another couple of weeks, after which I will transfer them to larger (6-inch / 15cm) pots for a while, before going to their final destinations in May some time.

On a different theme....  This is the last of my over-wintered Endive. Nearly time to sow some more for picking in the Autmn.




This was served with a French dressing as an accompaniment to some roast lamb and Gratin Dauphinoise - a favourite combination of ours.


So the Endive is just finishing, but on the Plus side, the Asparagus is just starting:


17 comments:

  1. Looking good Mark, can't wait to have asparagus of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even started my tomatoes yet. The schedule calls for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tomato seedlings are doing well. I am going to buy tomato plants this year, as I was too late with the sowing :/
    What a great idea to earth them up ! They become so spindley otherwise and the stems weak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those asparagus spears are looking so perky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark - Thanks for the informative blog. I am planting vege for the first time this year and have a question that you might be able to help with. Do I need to use the bottomless pot on top of grow bag if I am growing bush tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are this caps enough (in size) for good tomato seedlings?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny; The "ring culture" method you mention works well with bush tomatoes as well as cordons, but is not strictly necessary. I grow bush toms very successfully in large containers. On my blog you can see the big tub (made from an old water-butt) in which I grew last year the variety called "Maskotka", which did very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! I am planting Red Alert and Tiny Tim, and they were sowed 3.5 weeks ago. Hope all goes well and I'll actually get some tomatoes!

      Delete
  8. Boriana Boeva; the Elmlea cream pots are OK only for the first few weeks. After the seedlings get bigger they must be transferred to larger pots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as I saw your blog title over on twitter, I could smell the tomato seedlings! I think they almost smell more of tomatoes than tomoatoes...if you get what I mean!

    I am very envious of your asparagus. I would love to grow them but a) don't have the room and b) don't have the patience (sp?) to wait two years before harvesting! My late Mother in Law used to grow them but only for the foliage for her cut flowers...had I realised at the time, I would have poached a few spears!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wondered why you were so stingey with the potting compost - now I get it. Mine are at the stage of needing to be transplanted to bigger pots - but I am not standing in a freezing cold greenhouse for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My tomato seedlings have just sprouted true leaves. I'm ready to transplant them into pots and I'm going to follow your example and cover up the stems to promote solid root growth. Our weather has not been pleasant or warm enough to put them outside during the day but I am hopeful to start that process soon. Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tomatoes are doing really well (good idea with the half filled pots!). The endive looks really tasty and so do the asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our tomatoes are at the pricking out stage but it is so cold in the greenhouse that we can't take them out yet

    ReplyDelete
  14. My tomato seeds haven't even germinated yet. I'm sure they'll catch up though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sowing peppers and tomatoes this weekend - really looking forward to it! That endive looks so healthy and delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like your half filled pot idea - I must try it this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.