Monday 15 December 2014

Harvest Monday - 15th December 2014

Here we are half-way through December already, with Christmas nearly upon us. Time for proper Winter veg!


These all came out of my garden on Friday: two more beautiful Parsnips, another batch of Brussels Sprouts - and my first-ever Swede.


These two Parsnips jointly weighed 425g.


The Swede was a respectable 600g.


The Brussels Sprouts were only 180g - still enough for a 2-person serving though.


I'm also still harvesting salads - mainly endive and radicchio, with occasionally a small amount of Landcress.


At this time of year, the endives grow very slowly, and never get very big. I have quite a few of them, so I can afford to cut them when they are still small. One like this yields enough salad for a two-person serving.




This is my entry for Harvest Monday, hosted as usual by Daphne's Dandelions, so please drop by and see who else is harvesting their Winter veg...

9 comments:

  1. You're doing so well with your harvests still, you put me to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your winter harvests are really doing well this year. In past year I was harvesting in December, but this year things got harvested early (and eaten). I miss harvesting in December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're still living on preharvested veg. The downside of growing them a couple of miles from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true. Harvesting is easier for me, with the veg plot right outside my window!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful veg to be picking in mid December. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to serve one or two freshly picked veg for Christmas dinner. Maybe one day....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it's possible! Just needs some careful planning...

      Delete
  5. The endive is lovely, all your veg are lovely really, but I'm envious of the endive. This year I was unable to get any salad greens going for winter harvests, I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"! I envy you your garden produce too - especially the tomatoes and chillis. For me, endive is a constant feature of the garden from early Summer through to Christmas. It's always a challenge to grow though, because it bolts very readily.

      Delete
  6. A very nice harvest for mid December. I haven't been down my plots for over a week now so I'm hoping my cabbages in particular have withstood the recent heavy frosts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.