Wednesday 4 November 2015

A welcome volunteer

Whilst raking leaves off the shingle the other day, a little flash of green amongst the yellows and browns caught my eye. Closer inspection revealed that it was a Cyclamen leaf:


Never one to miss an opportunity, I decided I would adopt it. After all, Cyclamens are beautiful plants... I carefully scraped aside the shingle until the plant's corm (like a bulb) was visible.


Using a dibber I gently removed the plant. In fact I also found another one nearby, so I had two. One of the tiny plants had a second leaf forming.


For such tiny plants they had very well-developed root systems.


I potted-up both corms in one 4-inch pot - "for company"! I'll put them into separate pots later on, if they survive and grow bigger. I used a potting medium that was 50% general-purpose compost and 50% gravel, mimicking the conditions in which I had found the plants.


Right, now I have to go and do a bit of research about Cyclamens. A good place to start will be the blog of my friend Sue - "Our Plot at Green Lane Allotments", because I know she is expert on such things...

11 comments:

  1. That little tubers are so cute. Any idea where the seed come from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, but I presume they came in as seeds via bird droppings.

      Delete
    2. The seeds are spread by ants.

      Delete
  2. One of my favourite blooms. The only time I have seen them en mass was travelling through Tuscany, the wild pink cyclamen thickly covering the ground under trees that were just budding out. A sight I will never forget. Good luck with yours as I think they will be a welcome addition to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice find, you've clearly taken very good care of them so far, I hope they survive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder where they've come from, you don't have cyclamens in your garden, do you? You won't go far wrong looking at Sue's blog, I think she's overrun with cyclamens, she's definitely got green fingers where they're concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I can promise you, Mark is that these are just the first of many that will self seed in the most unlikely places in your garden. Some of our self seeders now have corms as big as dinner plates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cyclamens are on the short list of houseplants that I have actually purchased - their upturned petals are just so lovely! And now the anticipation begins to see those first flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know where they came from Mark?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea, Anne. Presumably brought in as seeds via bird poo?

      Delete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.