Thursday 20 January 2011

Crafty!

Some of you will know that one of Jane's hobbies is crafting - making artistic and decorative things like greetings cards from various materials such as paper, acrylic, ribbons, beads etc. For instance, she usually makes all of the Christmas cards we send.

Recently she has been making some things called "Fat Pages". Don't ask me to explain the concept in any detail, but the basic idea is to construct a thing like a thick, heavily-embellished postcard (showcasing all your artistic talents), and send it to a friend, who will return the favour by sending you one of theirs...

Jane was recently using for her latest batch of Fat Pages some printed fabric that caught my eye, since it has a gardening theme.


The trimmed fabric is glued to a square of cardboard to provide rigidity...



My recently-acquired fungus-identification skills tell me this is Fly Agaric



I'm not a crafter myself, but I'd be pretty happy to receive a Birthday card that used this fabric as its basis...

I'm reminded of a Father's Day gift that my eldest daughter Emma once made for me when she was a teenager: a cross-stitch picture of a veg garden. A lovely thing, and very appropriate for me.


10 comments:

  1. These are great! I love the fly agaric fabric and the veggie cross stitch is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mark, the cross stitch is just lovely... brings a little tear to my eye... it's my elder boy's first day at school next Monday. I think I might need a stiff drink to face it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali, he'll be all right I'm sure. You (both)have to face it sooner or later. Hopefully the poor thing won't be sent away to boarding school 10000 miles away at 8 years old, like I was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so lucky to be surrounded by such talented ladies. I like the fungi one especially. You should get your dear Mrs aka Jane to set up her own blog :)

    I also absolutely adore the cross stitch. That is so much more better than a sports trophy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, I hope you are reading these comments! Just one of the many things you have done that make me proud to be your Dad...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the fabric, but the cross stitch is wonderful. I bet it's amongst your most treasured possessions like most things our kids make for us, so much nicer and mean more than shop bought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are lovely Mark - the fabric is a real find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you say 10,000 miles away at eight years old? I hope it was a good and happy school!

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Esther, you read it right! What a horrible fate to inflict on a poor innocent lad. To be fair, my parents lived in Malaya at that time, and there were not many decent English-speaking schools in that country then, so they decided it would be better for me to be educated in England.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes i'm reading this Dad! Couldn't believe it when I saw this as your 'current favourite photo' yesterday as I'd totally forgotten it existed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave me a comment! Please note that Comment Moderation is enabled for older posts.